March 27, 2012

B-Day Part 4: Introductions

This is the final installment of a four-part series:

Click here for Part 1.
Click here for Part 2.
Click here for Part 3.

I was beyond excited to get out of that OR and go hold my baby for the first time. When I’d updated my birth plan for a possible c-section, I’d written that I wanted to be skin-to-skin with Bryson as soon as possible after his birth. In our situation, as soon as possible meant an hour and a half later.

While I was being put back together, Jeremy pushed Bryson down the hall in his bassinet, beaming with pride and ready to introduce him to our family. Thanks to Courtney, who wins the Mobile Skyper of the Year Award, my parents, sisters, brothers-in-law, and nieces and nephews got to witness the action. Since I wasn't there to see Bryson's introduction to the whole crew, my brother-in-law captured this precious video for me. It goes down in history as one of my all-time favorite clips, and I smile every time I watch it. I think you’ll see why when you click "play."

Fair warning: Make sure your speakers aren't up all the way, but DO turn them up :)


This is why I am the luckiest girl in the world. Sure, it took a second for them to start the "How's Nikki?" chorus, but I'm old news now that Bryson's here, and I'm totally okay with that. My family – nuclear and extended – means everything to me. I am so incredibly thankful that they were able to share this day with us, even from 4,000 miles away. And the crazy techno-moments didn’t stop there...


When I was fiiiiiiinally wheeled in to the recovery room to snuggle my little booshie boo, my family was (perched on a hazardous waste box?) waiting for me. For real. It was amazing. And now it was time for what I'd been waiting so (im)patiently for! Drumroll please...

Jeremy made the handoff, and I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. Was that the pain medication, or the fact that this moment, the first time I held my baby in my arms, was something I’d been dreaming of... for my whole life?! Maybe a little bit of both.

I don’t know how to explain it, other than to say it felt like the most natural moment of my life. It felt like we were just meeting, yet we’d known each other forever. We were a matched set. He was proof that Jeremy and I were meant to be, and the fact that he was born exactly 13 years after our story began just made this moment that much more poignant.


(Cue record scratch.)

All of the sudden, this amazingly precious moment was interrupted by a swift and intense wave of nausea. Great, I thought. I made it through my entire pregnancy throwing up just once (due to a stomach flu, no less), and here I am, about to throw up all over my perfect little baby the first time I hold him in my arms? No thank you!  I alerted everyone within earshot that I thought I was about to be sick. Nobody moved.

Except for Courtney, who wasn’t about to watch me puke all over myself. She ran into the hall asking, “Ummm….can we get something? She’s gonna throw up!” (Thanks for being my advocate, C!) I passed Bryson back to Jerm, my stomach still in knots. Finally, one of the nurses arrived with the little bean-shaped pan, and I lost it. Beautiful. Did anybody catch that on video?

Apparently this was an unpleasant, yet totally normal side effect of all the helpful pain meds Bart had given me during the surgery. I don’t know how much time passed before it happened once more, but at some point I requested a cool rag for my neck. The nurse then awkwardly placed it on the front of my neck. Who does that? My sister Jenny (from my parents’ dining table in Texas), mentioned the rag should be on the back of my neck, and that mistake was quickly remedied. Let’s get it together, people.


Other things I remember about that afternoon are a bit jumbled, so I’m going to share them in no particular order.

While everyone says c-section babies have perfectly round heads, we missed that memo.

Check out that dome! (And Jerm's multi-tasking skills!)
Bryson’s head was shaped like he’d been knocking it up on the ceiling (my ribs) for a solid eight weeks. (In Part 3, I forgot to mention that his cord was wrapped around his neck one time, which the doctors said was pretty normal. I asked if that might have been why he couldn’t flip head-down, but they said he had a good amount of slack, so that probably wasn’t it. Now I was thinking he had just been stuck in the breech position!) Either way, we called him our little pterodactyl. Even his little squeaks fit the bill. (I mean, he had to have at least ONE slight imperfection so the other babies on the floor wouldn’t feel bad, right?)

Some people aren’t up for visitors in those first days, and I can understand why. You’re out of it, you may look and/or feel like poo, and you’re in and out of being tired (and exposed!), all at once. Still, I wanted company. While we don’t have all of our family here, our Hawaii friends are like family to us. It didn’t take long before they were on their way. They were eager to meet and greet the newest member of our crew, and we were eager to show him off!

Baby swap! Meeting his cousin Claire for the first time.
I already wrote about our first night as a family of three, so now I’ll just include one more introduction that happened in Bryson’s first day.

I mentioned before that my parents were originally supposed to fly in that Thursday, 10/27. While my mom was desperately trying to figure out a way to get here in time for Bryson’s arrival, it just wouldn’t be possible. My sister Stacey convinced her it would be better to wait and fly out Tuesday morning (rather than spending all day Monday in the air, not knowing what was happening), and so that’s what they did. On October 25th, Jeremy headed home for a shower, picked them up at the airport, and almost exactly 24 hours after grandbaby #7 was born, they walked in the door of our suite for their own face-to-tiny-face introduction. No Skype, iPhones, or laptops needed this time. Together, we laughed, cried, cooed, and marveled at the newest member of the family, and it was lovely.

Exciting, memorable, exhausting, and fun. That, my friends, is the tale of how our third anniversary became Bryson's birthday.






P.S.  This post is not related to my business, which is about helping bright entrepreneurs attract their dream clients, one brilliant message at a time. HOWEV - if you like my writing and want help with your own, sign up for free tips at www.nikkielledgebrown.com!

5 comments:

  1. That clip!!! My contact will be fogged for the rest of the night. Love it, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *contacts (plural) - I wear two ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is seriously my heart, in the form a 30-second clip. Priceless.

      Delete
  3. Love the birth story! Poor Mamma getting sick... :( I Can't wait for what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty common, too! Who knew?

      Delete