March 2, 2012

The Secret Club: No Morning Sickness?


I loved being pregnant. Excluding the fact that Bryson ended up being breech for his last eight weeks in the oven, every part of our pregnancy journey was pretty perfect. Since that adventure started almost exactly a year ago, I want to make sure I document my most significant preggo memories before they're gone. For this particular installment, I need to acknowledge: If I'm fortunate enough to get pregnant again one day, I may not be as lucky in this department, and that's okay.

Since two of my sisters experienced morning sickness while pregnant, I imagined that naturally, I would too. Who doesn't get sick? Morning sickness is Hollywood gold! In every movie and every television show in which an actress plays a character in her first trimester, she runs to the bathroom or nearest trash can before knowing she's pregnant. It's just part of the game.

Well, I'm here to tell you: There's a secret club of women out there who never had to experience this rite of pregnancy passage. They're just very quiet about it. Like a secret password, you don't mention it unless someone mentions it to you (for fear of being smacked...). There's no need to rub it in to those who aren't as lucky, but it's kinda fun to celebrate with the club of women who have NO problem gaining weight with gusto in trimester #1. Don't get me wrong, I felt nauseous at times. Still, it was nothing compared to what it could have been.

I think I scared my potential morning sickness away by being too prepared. When I knew a pregnancy could be on the horizon, I started doing everything I could think of to prepare for potential morning sickness. I cleaned the baseboards of our two bathrooms, because if I was going to be staring at them while leaning over the toilet, I'd want them to be clean. I put a washcloth under the sink (within reach of the potty) so that I could drench it in cold water for my neck or forehead when I was feeling blah. I even stashed some (Goldfish!) crackers in my bedside table to eat before getting out of bed, another tip I'd read in the books my sister-in-law Courtney had loaned me. While it was nice having clean baseboards, I never used the washcloth, and I stress-ate all the Goldfish the night we were expecting a tsunami. The only time I threw up during my entire pregnancy was when I came down with a mini stomach bug.

So take that, Hollywood. To those of you who experienced horrible morning sickness at all times of day, at all stages of pregnancy, God bless you. You are superheroes. I don't know how you did it.

And to those of you lucky enough to be part of the secret club: high-five!


P.S.  This post is not related to my business, which is about helping bright entrepreneurs attract their dream clients, one brilliant message at a time. HOWEV - if you like my writing and want help with your own, sign up for free tips at www.nikkielledgebrown.com!

photo credit: Lawrence Whittemore via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment