March 26, 2013

My New Adventure: Say it Brightly

Earlier this year, I told myself (and YOU) that I was going to write once a week to strengthen my consistency muscles.

But here's the truth:

I'm having a hard time making time to write over here, and I don't feel bad about it. (Okay, I do a little. But I shouldn't.) Because I'm still writing, it's just not here.

You know that big dream I mentioned a few weeks ago? It's growing wings. Quickly.

Things are really happening, and it's pretty amazing.

The Mini Reveal
I've been reading, thinking, and praying (about this and plenty other things) a LOT over the past several weeks. And I've decided to launch more than just a website.

I'm launching a full-(home)grown business:

Nikki Elledge Brown - Communication Stylist.

There - I said it! I'm a communication stylist. (Yes, I just made that up. But I put a lot of thought into it!)

It's the best way I can think to summarize what I love to do!

My website will be www.nikkielledgebrown.com, and my motto is "Say it brightly."

Why Say it Brightly?
Has someone ever called you bright? Have you ever called someone bright?

To me, it's the loveliest compliment there is.

It means intelligent. Articulate. Even brilliant! It also implies positive. Light. Sparkling from inside.

I love it. 

My mission is to help women (especially those who are growing their families while growing their businesses) communicate more effectively. To say it brightly.

I'll write weekly blog posts about (brilliant!) communication AND the fun (and sometimes chaos) of growing my fam while growing my business. I'm even going to incorporate video (yep I said it - now make sure I do it!).

My favorite part of teaching in the face-to-face classroom was witnessing those "lightbulb moments" in my students' eyes when they really GOT it. So. Since it's my business and I get to do what I want, I'm also offering services to work on-on-one with women on their communication styling.

Lightbulb moments galore!

Another way I'll make this "job" dreamy is to give a portion of all of my fees to amazing organizations like Holden Uganda. If that motivation doesn't get me excited about showing up for work, I don't know what will!

The Bright Start Power Session
As a coming out party for my new biz, I crafted an offer for my fellow entrepreneurs. Not sure if I'll open this up again as an option in the future, but for now it feels like the right thing for where I am. These sessions are exposing me to really great women (from all over the world!) who are really passionate about their unique business ideas.

PLUS, after just a handful of free sessions today, I've already booked my first official paid sessions with three women I thoroughly enjoyed working with! (WHAT?! Pinch me.)

Instead of trying to explain to you what I'm actually doing, I'm just gonna let you read it. (So go on - read it! I'll catch you back at the bottom.)


The Bright Start Power Session:
you + me + 30 minutes of brilliant, wildly effective communication creation. FREE.

Are you a charming superstar in person but a bit of dud in writing? OR… Are you brilliant writer who would rather give herself a paper cut than speak in public? You’re not alone, sister.

And I’d love to help you. Free of charge.

My heart, expertise, and formal education is in communication studies – not just effective writing and speaking, but the actual social science of how and why we communicate the way we do. I am a word nerd. A communication stylist. I’ve spent the last seven years teaching people how to say what they need to say in the brightest way possible. Now it’s your turn.

A half-hour of power will fly by, but we’ll make every minute count. You get to pick how we spend our creative time together. Here’s a freshly minted menu of ideas to get you started. We can…
  • Write the perfect tagline, byline, or headline
  • Polish and edit existing content so you look like the intelligent pro you are
  • Hone in on your ideal customer avatar (and how to reach her)
  • Brainstorm relevant, sustainable blog post ideas
  • Start creating a bio that sells the story of YOU and attracts your ideal customers
  • Jumpstart that reeeally important email or newsletter you’ve been avoiding
  • Build your social networking toolbox
  • Learn how to be genuinely appealing to people you meet face-to-face or online
  • Practice getting those pesky public speaking butterflies to fly in formation
I’m offering ten of these sessions over the next two weeks. Why? 1. To celebrate communication week (Module 3 - woohoo!), and 2. To start my new business with a healthy dose of giving goodness and happy clients.

As you know, it’s important we’re a good fit. As a matter of fact, I’d like these sessions to go to the 10 best “fits” I can find! In order to ensure our brains will storm brilliantly together, please fill out this survey to give me a feel for our communichemistry: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K7XPL5G.

Please note: In addition to building my biz, I’ve got a day job and a 17-month-old lil buddy to love on. These time slots are very specific. If our calendars and expectations match, I’ll get back to you ASAP to schedule our power sesh. If they don’t, I’d love to thank you for your time by offering an A to your burning communication Q here in the Facebook group. Just be sure to tag me in it!

Sound good?

Get excited, lady! This is gonna be fun.
I had 34 business owners respond to this survey yesterday. I reached out to the ones who I thought would be the best fits, and once the spots filled up, I thanked everybody else for their interest (and offered help via Q&A).

I booked every session I made available (and then some, actually!). And as I mentioned, just from today's sessions, I've already got at least three lovely ladies who want to continue working together.

Is that confirmation that I'm on the right path or what?! (Thanks, God. This is awesome!)

Whew.

That's the scoop, amigo. Ever since I started to take quiet time and pray at the start of each day a few months back, this flood of ideas and inspiration has come down the pipe. I think it's NO coincidence.

You know what else I think?

This is gonna be fun.

What do you think? Am I crazy? (Because I'm doing it anyway.) Got a dream nagging at your brain? Need a kick in the booty to start before your ready? (Because I can help you with that too.)

As usual, I'd love your thoughts and comments below. Get to typin'!

P.S.  As mentioned, my business is about helping bright entrepreneurs attract their dream clients, one brilliant message at a time. If you like my writing and want help with your own, sign up for free tips at www.nikkielledgebrown.com!

7 comments:

  1. I know I've said it before, but I am in awe of you! You are absolutely perfect for this and your passion to help others will continue to shine through. I'm so proud of you and can't wait to watch your business grow! I couldn't think of a better fit for you. You had a dream and are making it come to life, truly amazing! - Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean really I feel selfish that I get to be your ONLY little sister and receive all of your incredible big sister support. Means the world to me, Staceface!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea!! We totally relate. I always love to read your blog and ideas for the next generation beyond this old reporter's usual can of tricks (worms.) I especially like this thought about being mindful of your online appeal. See, I learn something new every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Denise! And the fun is just beginning. I'm so excited to take on content in a more intentional way! I'm going to learn SO much by working with women running all kinds of businesses. Can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Nikki, what a fantastic idea. You're going to be so successful in this venture - I just know it!

    Have you considered helping with cover letter assistance for job applicants? I know that this is something that I struggle with - how to communicate my skills and interests (and why someone should hire me!) I don't know how to shout "Hey! Look at me! You want me on your staff! I'm great!!!" without sounding ridiculous. Even though I've progressively compiled and improved my resume, I still have no idea how to successfully write a cover letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely thought of that, Kels. (And as you know, I've been doing that for years for friends and fam!) I think the best way for me to help people with that will be with my free weekly content.

      My one-on-one folks will be those who are starting (or running) business of their own...the ones who may need help writing those job postings to attract superstars like you ;)

      Delete
  4. I think it’s a cool idea. Many of us have a business of our own, but not all of us succeed on getting/attracting the clients that we always wish to have. And you’re here to help them!

    Clint @FranchiseMatch.com

    ReplyDelete