April 2, 2013

The Secret to a Successful Day

Has it seriously been a week already!?

Time is flying over here, friend. Like whoa.

I mentioned last week that I'm finding it harder and harder to make time to write over here. It's true.

And I have got to let go of the guilt.

While I thoroughly enjoy clicking "Publish" at the end of a writing session, it's not what defines a successful day for me.

Planning the Transition
I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate stories about B and our family life on my new site. I'm just not sure how to do that yet.

I know my dream clients will LOVE that I'm a mom (because they're moms too!), so it will be a natural fit at some point. Plus, B is pretty stinkin' cute. Who wouldn't want to hear about him? ;)

Still, while I'm just getting things started, I'll need to focus my efforts on specific content that can help my potential clients. (That content will be related to communicating like a superstar!)

Basically what I'm telling you is: Please don't be disappointed that the mom stories are taking a backseat right now. 

a) That's what Facebook is for! and
b) I'll find a way to keep writing them eventually. Gimme time.

In the meantime, I've gotta be smart about my time and resources. At this stage of the game, my mom energy is best spent on actual momming, and my writing energy is best spent on biz planning.

To-Do, To-Do, To-Do
Behind the scenes these days, I'm participating in a lovely Good Morning Girls bible study, hanging with my hunky husband, playing with my ever-entertaining toddler, grading papers and facilitating UOP discussions, developing education programs and creating content for my NPS job, flossing, soaking up training videos, meeting new digi-friends, maintaining sanity by walking around the block a time or four each day....

And that's not even including all the biz-building activity up in this piece! Seriously. There's a lot going on.

BUT it's all okay. I know that and I feel that. And I've actually been way less stressed than I imagined I'd be! That's no coincidence.

I think I mentioned before that this year I've challenged myself to do a daily devotional called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Shockingly, so far I've managed to complete every day, on the actual day, except for two. (Boo to those two days.) This is a BIG deal for me!

Anyway. A lot of the devotions focus on consciously choosing to experience God's peace, feeling joy, knowing Him and being open to His guidance. But one particular message from this weekend really struck me, right in the to-do list-making heart:
"A successful day is one in which you have stayed in touch with Me, even if many things remain undone at the end of the day. Do not let your to-do list (written or mental) become an idol directing your life."
BOOM.

Even when I get lost in a sea of to-do lists (and wow, do I have a sea of to-do lists!), I'm reminded that this life is just a blip on the radar of eternity. I'm absolutely meant to do what I'm doing, so I should take it seriously, BUT....not too seriously.

Say it with me now:

It's okay I didn't write a new blog post. It's okay I didn't do the laundry. It's okay I didn't make it to the grocery store. It's okay I didn't do my taxes. It's okay!

Okay, we really do need to pay our taxes, and we really do need groceries and clean clothes. Those aren't things we can just forget forever.

HOWEVER... they are things that are SO minor that they don't deserve brain space, stress, guilt, or disappointment on a daily to-do list.

Get what I'm saying?

Here's the secret to a successful day:

Let it go, friend. 

Instead of feeling bad about what was left on your to-do list tonight, focus on the best things that DID get done today. Be present in those fleeting moments that you know will make the highlight reel.

Wanna know the best thing I did today? Check out that picture up there.

I took my little dream guy to the park to burn off some energy before lunch and naptime. It was kinda hot. He found all the tiniest rocks and gave them to me as gifts. We slid, we swung, he laughed, I smiled, and it was fun.

Today was a successful day.


In the comments, I'd like to know: What's your definition of a successful day? How do you unwind when you've got a lot going on?


P.S.  This post is not directly related to my business, which is about helping bright entrepreneurs attract their dream clients, one brilliant message at a time. HOWEV - if you like my writing and want help with your own, sign up for free tips at www.nikkielledgebrown.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment